I feel like I’m becoming rather repetitive lately with my weekly TT’s. I feel like I wanted to give an in depth look into one of my most elaborate images I’ve created to date. Surprisingly, it wasn’t really all *too* hard to do. More trial and error than anything, but I love the finished product! This particular shot was something I definitely visualized before I had even shot it. When using photo stitching/Brenizer Method/etc., you MUST have a clear vision in your mind of what you want the image to portray with it’s composition.
This particular shot was done using a tripod to assure stability. I was using the Canon 5D Mark II & the 85mm 1.8 lens @ f 1.8, ISO 160, 1/400s. In order to achieve this technique, EACH image must match with focus, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, everything. That’s the only way it works. I took a series of shots (12 total, I believe) and made sure to capture tons of room all around her. Really embracing the surroundings we had. A lot to take it, but very much worth it!
Another key point when utilizing this method is to be sure that the images are edited the same throughout. My usual process is to bulk edit the photos in Camera RAW, going over all my usual basics. I then open all of the files into photoshop go to File > Automate > Photomerge >”Add Open Files” (In some scenarios, I have to resize the images to about 2000px wide because it can be quite a hefty file to load when you’re merging 10+ RAW files) This process can take anywhere from 1-5 minutes, depending on the amount of photos you’re stitching together. Once the image is complete, you’ll get something that looks like it has literally been puzzle pieced together. From here, it’s your decision on how you’d like to crop and compose the image. It’s completely up to you and how much room you have to work with in the image. Additional cloning may be required in small spots.
As you can see, the initial composited image had the row of boxes only to the left of my model. It felt uneven and I needed symmetry. In order to get the boxes on the other side, I literally copy & pasted the image, rotated horizontally, and patiently erased all the areas around the boxes I did not want in the image. I’d have to say, this was the “hardest” part, which was more tedious than anything! I then moved onto a few custom curve adjustment layers to finish it off!
Hope this better covers the process of what I’ve been babbling about over the past several weeks! As always, leave any questions you may have for me in the comment section!